A couple of months ago I had a really interesting and very importatnt task. I had to code an automated process that creates Unirgy_DropshipPo purchase orders (Unirgy_DropshipPo_Model_Po objects). Because the task had a very high business value and everything had to work flawlessly, I decided to invest more energy and time in order to write a good test coverage with phpunit. I also knew that I needed tests because there was a big chance my code would be modified in the following weeks because of the business dynamics. I decided to “step” on something that I already knew how to utilise – EcomDev_PHPUnit ( Thank you Ivan Chepurnyi ).
Initially, my idea was to use EcomDev_PHPUnit only as a unit-testing tool and to test functions in isolation, but at a later stage of the development I found out that it would be even better if I used EcomDev_PHPUnit to test different branches of my algorithm.
During the development phase I had 3 main technical challenges:
- Unknown / Unexpected behaviour of Unirgy Dropship
- Collecting fixtures data in order to simulate test cases close to production environment
- Querying the database in order to prove that entities have been modified or created (Purchase order, credit memos and etc.)